If you are thinking about hosting an Avatar the Last Airbender party, you probably know what it is already. You may, however, not know that this T.V. series had 5.6 million viewers on its best-rated showing and it had high ratings even outside its 6-11 year-old demographic.
Everyone loves Avatar. Here is a brief review for those who do not watch the show as faithfully as their kids: This is also the beginning narrative to each episode, “Water... Earth... Fire... Air. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, an airbender named Aang. And although his airbending skills are great, he still has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone. But I believe Aang can save the world.” Now that you know what it is about time to start planning your kid’s Avatar party! Here are some helpful tips and kid’s party ideas to get you started:
Invitations Parents always like to know what they should expect at a birthday party. Should they stay? How long will the party be? And what kind of food will there be? etc. So, it is best when you put that information in the invitation. For an Avatar party invitation you should try your best to make it look like it came from the world of Avatar itself. This means using brown/tan paper, rolling it like a scroll, and tying it with string. You can make it even more authentic by burning the edges of the paper to give it a more rustic look.
Decorations This is not a typical party involving balloons and streamers; you are creating an entire world full of different lands for the different benders. If you have enough room you can create the different lands/kingdoms in separate rooms of the house. For example, Water Tribe – Family room, Earth Kingdom – Living room, Fire Nation – Kitchen, and Air Nomads – Dining room. Here are tips for decorating each land/kingdom:
- Water – Decorate with anything blue and swirly in this room and or cover it in ice. The Water Tribes in Avatar are in both the North and South poles, so think COLD. Decorate with frosted glasses and windows, blue streamers, ice sculptures, water fountains, etc. Anything that is frosted or highlights water goes in this room.
- Earth – The Earth Kingdom is a strong and powerful nation and many of the people there can bend earth. Got some dirt around the house? Put it in this room. The main color for the Earth Kingdom is green so use the color green in your decorating. Earth Wrestling is also a popular sport in the Earth Kingdom so if you make the room look like boxing ring that would work too.
- Fire – The Fire Nation’s color is red, obviously, and they bend the dangerous element of fire. The kitchen is a good place to decorate for this element because you already have some sources of heat and flames like the stove top, oven, and microwave. Add candles to the room and anything ornate and elaborate in the colors red and yellow. The Fire Nation is proud and strong so try to portray that in your decorations if possible.
- Air – The Air Nomads are a humble, peaceful people and they are able to bend air. Decorate this room in white. Drape white sheets or silky see-through fabric over everything in the room and add downy-cotton fluff to look like clouds.
- Fire Flakes – These are a popular food in the Fire Nation, you can use Red Hots or Doritos chips as your fire flakes.
- Vegetarian – The Air Nomads are vegetarians so adding a bunch of veggies to your table will be a perfect fit for Air, and fellow parents will be happy.
- Fruit Pies, Custard Tarts – Air Nomads were also known for their sweets, like fruit pies, and custard tarts.
- Seaweed – The Water Tribe got most of their food from the Sea so any kind of Sea creature will do. However, serving fish at a kid’s party sounds like a recipe for disaster. Instead you can make noodles and dye them green – call them Sea noodles and the kids shouldn’t be too freaked out.
- Chicken and Rice – If you are going to serve dinner, you can’t go wrong with chicken and rice which is perfect for an Earth Kingdom meal.
- Colored – If you need more food just go by color, red – Fire Nation, blue – Water Tribe, green – Earth Kingdom, or white – Air Nomads. Put labels by all the foods so everyone knows what they are eating and what it would be called in the Avatar world.
- Scavenger Hunt – Make up clues that go to the different rooms of the Avatar world and place treat bags at the end with toys and candy. Here is an example clue, “In what nation do the citizens challenge each other to Agni Kai duels?” Answer, “Fire Nation” The clue would be in the Fire Nation room.
- Face Painting – Get some other adults or older children to help provide face painting at the party. This is always a big hit.
- Rock, Paper, Scissors – Spice up this regular, sometimes boring, game by making the loser crawl under the winners legs then follow the winner along as he or she challenges others to a Rock, Paper, Scissors battle. As more kids win the lines behind them grow longer. It is both fun and funny.
- Avatar Jeopardy – Challenge your Avatar know-it-all-kids to a game of Avatar Jeopardy.